Applying for a shared ownership home
If you're interested in buying a shared ownership home, you must register with a Help to Buy agent in the area where you want to live.
We cover the South of England (excluding London), which includes:
- Bristol, Bath, Somerset & Mendip
- Cornwall (including the Isles of Scilly)
- East Sussex
- Hampshire and Isle of Wight
- West Sussex
The other two agents cover properties in the:
As an agent for shared ownership appointed by the government, we need to make sure all applicants meet the scheme’s eligibility criteria. We will check if you’re eligible, and help you with the application process.
How to apply
- Register with us and complete a shared ownership application form.
- We will confirm if you’re eligible to buy a shared ownership home. You should hear from us
within 4 working days.
- When you find a home you want to buy, the provider will refer you to a mortgage adviser.
They will assess your income and outgoings to make sure you can afford the payments for
your home purchase.
- The mortgage adviser will let you know the share you can afford. You’ll need to buy the
share with either a repayment mortgage or a lump sum from savings.
- Pay a reservation fee to the provider to secure the home. When you pay the fee, no one else will be able to reserve the home for a fixed period of time. The provider will tell you how long the fee secures the home for and how much the fee is.
- Apply for your mortgage (if applicable).
- Instruct a conveyancer to act on your behalf. They will handle the legal aspects of buying the home. They will explain the terms of the shared ownership lease to you, and communicate with the provider’s solicitors on your behalf.
More information is available in the frequently asked questions.